Each of us can identify with two aspects of ourselves. One which is called the Human aspect (a lower self/false self) and the other the Spiritual aspect (an eternal Divine Self/True Self/Soul).
From the moment we are born we tangibly connect and relate to our human aspect. Our subtle eternal SELF remains silent and asleep until we awaken to its presence. Note: In this article when I use the word “self” I am referring to our false self. When I use Self (with an uppercase S) I am referring to our higher eternal aspect (our True Self).
This article considers a basic recipe for self-mastery. It is about the mastery of our human aspect by leveraging the timeless power of our eternal Self. I use the example of a recipe, because, a recipe has ingredients, a process, and an end result. The end result here is Self Mastery.
In order to get to the end result, we must become aware of what goes into producing the result as well as the steps (process) that are involved. So, let’s get started.
RECIPE: Self Mastery
- My lower self (false self)
- My eternal SELF (True Self)
- The Inner Guide/Inner Teacher/Inner Parent
- The Spiritual Team (Divine Help)
- Internal Resources from lower self – Patience, Determination, Commitment, Discipline, Hope, Faith, Mindset, Courage, a Healthy way to Communicate with the Source Creator and Divine Guidance (self-inquiry, prayer, contemplation, meditation, etc.)
- Faculties – Intelligence, Intuition
- Bodies – mental, emotional, physical and spiritual
Process (to be undertaken on a daily basis through some Spiritual practice)
- Bring your (self) daily to interact and engage with your True Self. This can be done through simple dialogue.
- Reach out for help from your Spiritual team. Ask for protection, guidance, and assistance.
- Seek to find out ways on picking up on your intuitive, inner voice.
- Seek to find out how to tap into your subconscious mind ( to uncover what lies hidden inside that is keeping you stuck and disempowered).
- Learn as much as you can about the inner world of human beings.
- Acknowledge and listen to the inner voice ( which is the voice of the Inner Teacher or Guide) when it speaks.
- Be absolutely honest with yourself and seek to be honest.
- Acknowledge and face any inner resistance that can arise due to ego defenses in place.
- Be ready and willing to break the internal resistance as and when it arises (this can be in the form of beliefs, unhealthy boundaries, bad habits, unproductive mental functioning, repressed unresolved emotional states, unexplainable fears, etc). This involves doing shadow work on a regular basis. The more you practice shadow work the more you will be able to recognize these within you.
- Ask the bold questions (self-inquiry and self reflect) that will provide clarity
- Ask for assistance to notice.
- Be patient, apply the principles of slow thinking and maintaining silence when necessary.
- Acknowledge synchronicity in outer reality.
- When stuff arises from within that leaves you helpless, disempowered, stuck, fearful – be ready to apply the power of your faith (through prayer, meditation, contemplation). Stay persistent and committed to the task. Be relentless in this area always seeking to first work on your own contribution to every issue or problematic situation.
- Be cognizant of shifts that occur in your reality and be willing to take courageous action when the situation demands. It is often our actions that open the doorways to greater and better results. Without action little can be achieved.
- Be willing to grow and extend by the act of constantly learning more about the limitations of the human self.
Be Come More Conscious
Be Come Authentic
Be Come Empowered
Be Come the Leader of yourself
Be Come Aligned with yourself (the True Self)
Be Come the Master of yourself (Self Mastery)
Achieving anything worthwhile takes time and effort. It requires commitment and dedication to the outcome. The same applies to get to a place where you can value yourself and be grateful for who you are.
These ideas are taught in school or in a textbook. It is taught to us through our daily life experiences.
Instead of taking for granted that our life experiences are simply “Life Experiences”, consider the idea that our life experiences are our teachers, our guides to help us become More (self Master and embody the True Self more fully) than we are today.